Good Bye Garbage – Clearing Out The Empties Makeup Drawer

empties 2

empties swatches

For the move, I have gone through the throng of makeup I have managed to accumulate since being here. Surprisingly, it is a lot less than I wanted. However, I still had quite a bit of empties that had yet to be binned. From makeup, to skin care, I was aghast by the amount.

Going through this list, I realized there were some products I HAD to discuss. Sadly, most of them are essentially “hates”, but I definitely needed to get these troublesome products some well “deserved” feedback. And in truth, most of them are actually binned than truly being empties.

Empties – Eyes

Buxom Lash Mascara, $25.00 – The wand shape  was perfect for me. It grabbed and separated every lash. However the formula is the biggest issue. It is watery and caused my lashes cling to each other. Adding additional coats only further prevented separation. Also, it smudged as if I was in a 70’s Soap Opera and my stage cue was to cry. It was just BAD!

Tarte Tartiest Clay Paint Liner, $29.00 – The angled head of the squeezey tube gel liner makes it easy to prevent overuse as the accompanying brush is perfect for application. However, if you apply too much, it will crumble and flake off the lids. Additionally, if you have oily lids, it WILL smudge. It is best to set your eyes, while using as minimal as possible. Aside of this minor issue, the liner is aces.

Tarte Tartiest Lash Paint Mascara, $28.00 – I always wanted to try the Lights Camera Lashes mascara, however since I couldn’t get my hands on it, I settled on mascara. When I first used the mascara, I enjoyed it down to the formula and the wand. Then I used it repeatedly it and noticed a major issue. The formula dried my lashes out so badly, a massive chunk of fell out near the inner corner of my eye. It look horrid. Just stay away.

Empties – Face

Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup, $47.00 – The foundation is super light weight, and it always looked great on my skin. In truth, I look airbrushed when I use this foundation. However every single day, upon removal, I could see how badly it affected my skin. My pores were completely clogged and no amount of prep could prevent this. It is just such a shame because it does leave the skin appearing flawless.

Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer, $37.00 – As a cult favourite, I was drying to get my hands on this. However, the shade just pulls too grey on me. While this is an easy fix, I found as a whole, the formula is just too thick for my under eye lines. It clung to each line, exaggerating the appearance. I feel like it ages me at least 10 years.

Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Amazing Makeup Fixing Spray, £5.00 – This fix spray does absolutely nothing to prolong my makeup. However I would repurchase it again and again. While it doesn’t increase longevity, it creates a beautiful youthful dewy appearance which I desperately need. It doesn’t seem to overly hydrate the skin, but it certainly improves my skin. Additionally, it is lovely for just taming down the overly flat matte appearance while preventing cakey appearance from powders. And if I purchase it just for that, it is certainly worth the minuscule cost.

PIXI Concealing Concentrate Adaptable Beige, $14.00 – I know many us has fallen for the trap. We read reviews and HAD to buy that certain product. This was THAT product for me. Sadly, it just didn’t do anything for me. My dark circles weren’t covered, nor where any spots hidden. I just couldn’t get it work for me period.

Share:

13 Comments

1. Kay
    February 12, 2017 / 6:55 am

Really enjoyed reading about your honest thoughts on these products, hun! I can’t believe that Tarte mascara, that sounds absolutely horrid! I hate it when mascaras dry out my lashes, so I’d stay away from that one for sure. Also, that Nars concealer is something I’ve always wanted to try, but for the price, I think there are better alternatives! Thank you for sharing. 🙂 <3 xoxo

Kay

2. Emily
    February 11, 2017 / 6:52 pm

Aw no, it’s a shame you disliked a lot of these but going through your make-up before your move is a great way to make more space for new products, no? 😉

Musings & More

3. Alina Bostan
    February 11, 2017 / 10:09 am

Such a shame both concealers from Nars and Pixi were disappointing. The fact that the Nars concealer can feel drying is alway something that has put me off buying it x

Beauty with charm

4. Velvet Blush
    February 9, 2017 / 3:37 pm

I’ve been deliberating getting the Nars concealer for ages. I’ve read so many positive reviews (it is quite hyped as well), and trailed it in store one day, but the end result didn’t look a lot different to the result I get with the collection concealer. I have the same problem with concealers looking a bit grey on me! Although, I’m trying out the Maybelline eye eraser on days where I don’t want a lot of coverage and that works out well for me too, so I might give the Nars a miss for now 🙂

5. February 9, 2017 / 9:39 am

Angie, you are too funny! I’m trying to clear out my makeup BOX also! Hopefully I will be through the end of this month. LOL I use to love UD’s Naked Skin Foundation. But then about 2 years ago it stopped working for me. I don’t know what happened, but it just got powdery on my skin. So I switched to Too Faced. Love it, but there are some other one’s I want to try. I haven’t tried NARS concealer. Was on my head to do so, because I was also interested in their foundation. I hate to hear that it ages you. I tried the Tarte Paint Mascara. It worked for me, but I haven’t used it daily. Sorry you experienced that. Great roundup! It’s an awesome feeling!

6. Pam
    February 8, 2017 / 6:23 am

my UD foundation ran out too and I will miss it but I feel like there are other foundations out there I should try so not repurchasing it. The nars concealer though, awful stuff. I dont know how people love it so much :/
    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

7. February 8, 2017 / 2:56 am

I havent tried any of the products you mentioned, but I am way stricter with binning stuff that no longer works for me. Or never worked for me. It is liberating only to have products around you really enjoy using.

8. February 7, 2017 / 7:18 pm

So sorry to hear about the NARS concealer – I’m about to pick up a tube in a few weeks, and I hope it works for me!

9. February 7, 2017 / 1:35 pm

The Buxom mascara didn’t do anything for my lashes, a bit of length but that’s it. Not much volume despite 3 layers and my lashes look crunchy. 🙁

• February 7, 2017 / 5:29 pm

It was just a horrible mascara as a whole.