Beauty Break #3 – Kylie Cosmetics Is ColourPop: Researched & Debunked

Kylie Cosmetics Is Actually ColourPop main

The possible connection of Kylie Cosmetics actually being ColourPop has dominated the beauty gossip since KC’s first appearance. Those who have both brands have certainly been trying to make a pin point connection. Swatches, formula comparisons and location spotting has all been done in an effort to catch Ms Jenner in a lie. But are we actually spending $29 for a lip kit, when we could be spending a total $11?

Several months ago, I went on a researching binge to find the honest to goodness truth. First, I started with Kylie Cosmetics, then I continued with ColourPop. My query to the Kylie Cosmetics customer service is screenshot below. email from Kylie Cosmetics

Of course, I wouldn’t take their word for it, and expected ColourPop’s answer to be similar, if not just as cookie cutter. Have you noticed the date of the above email? ColourPop has not responded to my email. In fact, I sent 4 similarly posed questions since this date and not one was answered. I suspect they just delete these “harassing emails” at this point. However, that poses a different question about their customer service all together.

Back to it: Those who regularly purchase both will notice the shipping address states they are from Seed Beauty. This probably comes to no surprise that both companies are created in the Seed Beauty Lab, but that is hardly damning evidence. Even King Kylie (gawd, I loathe that name) has come clean on that stance. On a video she posted to her app, she said

“ColourPop and I (Kylie Cosmetics) are not the same formula. I have an exclusive formula that I created myself, but we have the same manufacturer, along with so many other brands… Just like how those big brands aren’t ColourPop is exactly how my brand is…”

Excuse the bitchiness, but her grammar is atrocious.   One would be foolish if one truly expected her to out herself and her company. What she not so eloquently tried to explain is “The mother company, Seed Beauty aka ColourPop, previously Spatz Laboratories, is where her cosmetics line was founded, but it stops there. It is merely a laboratory that can create different formulas and has done so for her and her line”.

And it is true.

Seed Beauty has been around for a lot longer than the short (almost) 3 years. It has been around since 1955/56 under Spatz Laboratiries. With a recent revamp, it is what we know it as today, Seed Beauty, AKA ColourPop. Certainly in this length of time, they have a multitude of formulas. However one must consider how it is nothing more than an Umbrella, just like Tam Beauty is for Makeup Revolution, I <3 Makeup etc.

With that in mind, even the Better Business Bureau has their hand on the very query.

2017-01-17 (3)

2017-01-17 (6)

Note the address of the company, as well as the business management, CEO of both. That is Seed Beauty. In fact, months ago, Seed Beauty had their own entry into the BBB, but now it directs itself to the ColourPop page (BBB Link). Also notice the rating for Kylie Cosmetics has gone up (previously a C: read here), and yet still not BBB accredited? Certainly intriguing.

Now onto the formula. Here is the BBB’s take:

2017-01-17 (7)

This, once more, does state that Kylie Cosmetics (BBB Link) is a separate formula. However, if this still does not calm your soul about the formulas, here are screenshots of their ingredient list. The first is ColourPop (photo credit  www.warpaintandunicorns.com), you’ll need to zoom in, and the second is Kylie Cosmetics ingredient list.

Kylie Cosmetics Is Actually ColourPop main

Kylie Cosmetics Is Actually ColourPop ingredients 1

Yes, the first four ingredients are identical, however further on, the ingredients change. Now, I have seen MANY ingredient comparisons, but many do not understand how to read ingredients properly. When you read the ingredients label, the very first ingredient has the highest content. The second ingredient has the second highest content. The third, the third highest content, and etc. This continues on throughout the list.

As from the fifth ingredient, the ingredients are different, or “rearranged”. This does not mean they are the same formula. Just the opposite, it means it is a separate formula. If however, the company were to change the list, they would be headed for a multi-million dollar class action lawsuit. This would be filed by all of the past consumers, and possibly the state of California. To mislead that many people would be considered fraudulent (read: protecting consumers) .

With that in mind, if this doesn’t “alleviate your concerns”, then you should just reconsider the purchase. Honestly, consider this: while Kylie Cosmetics is $29 for a matte lip and the lip liner, ColourPop has matte lips and matching liners for $11 total (as stated above). If you are taking issue with the formula possibility, just buy two products from ColourPop. Heck, buy 3 matte lips and 3 liners (6 products total) for almost the same amount as 1 kit.

And with that, I am out.

What are your thoughts on the Kylie Cosmetics?

Share:

53 Comments

1. January 25, 2017 / 6:10 am

This was such an in depth investigation! I must admit I have never been interested in Kylie’s makeup. I’ve tried 1 Colourpop lippie and I wasn’t super impressed (love the eyeshadows though). I’ll give your Smashbox a try! Anything specific to look out for?

• January 31, 2017 / 6:51 am

Smashbox is most certainly a hit x

2. Candice
    January 25, 2017 / 4:48 am

Gosh this is one informative post thank you for spreading some light on Kylie Cosmetics – I have never used her products and honestly won’t ever…

Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

• January 31, 2017 / 6:52 am

I doubt I would ever purchase from her again tbh

3. January 23, 2017 / 7:40 pm

Great work on your part, I’m now interested to try both but Kylie lip kit is just pricey. Nice to see your blog.

• January 31, 2017 / 8:29 am

Kylie lip kits are pricey.

4. January 23, 2017 / 12:25 pm

Wow what an amazing in depth post! I haven’t tried any of these brands to be honest, a lot of bloggers have mostly put me off trying any of the Kylie lip kits x

LAURA ­| Laura Thinks About

• January 31, 2017 / 8:30 am

I feel put off by her to be hones.t

5. January 23, 2017 / 3:28 am

I’ve never tried any of the KC range and now I don’t think I ever will. So many people say the products are identical to Colorpop, that’s where I’ll be spending my money!

Elle
    xx

• January 31, 2017 / 8:31 am

They are not identical, nor are the shade the same, but it is dupable.

6. January 22, 2017 / 3:21 pm

I think this is fabulous advice to so many who idolise Kylie Jenner and want to copy her look. Like you say, why pay for one of hers when the lip glosses on offer from Colourpop are just as good?!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Jaz xoxo

• January 31, 2017 / 8:33 am

ColourPop is different, but it is definitely the cheaper alternative.

7. Tiffany
    January 22, 2017 / 2:03 pm

You seriously did your research on this one! I actually work in the beauty industry and in manufacturing and unfortunately this isn’t uncommon. There could be a very slight tweak to the formula i.e. more skincare to justify the price difference. If you look carefully, some products may not have any changes at all! It’s all about savy shopping and looking past the brand name. Great post. x

Tiffany Tales | Lifestyle & Beauty

• January 31, 2017 / 10:16 am

This exactly my point!

8. darriyan
    January 22, 2017 / 10:19 am

I have always been put off by the price of Kylie Cosmetics, I would choose colourpop over hers every day! But this is a great post, and confirmed my disliking of her products lol!

Darriyan xo

• January 31, 2017 / 10:17 am

haha. Well I do think she is overrated, personally.

9. Emily
    January 22, 2017 / 6:07 am

Angie this is brilliant! I love that you are like a little detective! I don’t any of these products, simply because I struggle to get hold of them here but it seems obvious to me to just go for colourpop!

Musings & More

• January 31, 2017 / 10:18 am

Definitely the way to go 😀

10. January 20, 2017 / 10:07 pm

Love how you did your research to get to the bottom of this. I have a few colorpop lippie sticks and absolutely love them, especially for their price 🙂

• January 22, 2017 / 5:57 am

I think it depends on the certain type of ColourPop, but it is still good.

11. January 20, 2017 / 6:20 pm

I own 2 of the Kylie lip kits and although I love them I don’t think I will be buying anymore. I find that the Jeffree Star ones preform just as well for half the price. I’ve never tried out any of the ColourPop ones but perhaps that will be next! Thanks for sharing<3

• January 22, 2017 / 5:59 am

I’ve not tried Jeffree star, so I cannot agree one way or another. However, I do not like with the Lip Kits I HAVE to use both products either wise my lips are in such pain from being dry.

12. January 20, 2017 / 3:54 pm

Thank you for the detail on this- it’s nice to see everything rounded up in a succinct way. I don’t doubt the formulas are similar enough that people might want to consider ColourPop instead but I guess some will always go for the name and branding

Jasmine xx

Jasmine Talks Beauty

• January 22, 2017 / 6:03 am

I agree. Sometimes all you they want is a name and a name on a brand which is why so many companies reach out to celebrities.

13. January 20, 2017 / 1:32 am

Found this really interesting to read, it was almost like reading a beauty version of a Sherlock Holmes type of story!

Julia // The Sunday Mode

• January 22, 2017 / 6:04 am

Absolutely love this comment. Thank you so much <3

14. January 19, 2017 / 12:53 pm

OMG! I had no ideas! I was never going to buy Kylie Cosmetics because I just think they made the buzz and are too expensive but I didn’t see that coming. Glad to know. xx Corinne from Corinne & Kirsty

• January 19, 2017 / 1:08 pm

There is always so much controversy with those girls. -smh-

15. Abeni
    January 19, 2017 / 12:47 pm

Between the two of these brands, I’ve only tried Colourpop and have no interest in trying the Kylie lipkits. It’s way too expensive for its quality, which isn’t very good from the photos and reviews I’ve seen. Then again, I might be biased because I’m not a Kardashian fan by any means, lol. Honestly though I love Colourpop’s matte lipsticks so far even though they are VERY hard to remove. Thanks for your input on the matter! ^.^

Abeni | http://heyabeni.wordpress.com

• January 19, 2017 / 1:11 pm

It certainly takes a while to remove!

16. January 19, 2017 / 12:47 pm

Oh wow! I’ve honestly had this thought in my head for the longest but ignored it because I wasn’t gonna pay that much for Kylie cosmetics! I love this post because you took the time out to give us this info. Thank you!

• January 19, 2017 / 1:13 pm

I know, so many of us has a worrying thought in our minds and her taking forever to respond just made it worse!

17. January 18, 2017 / 9:31 pm

Glad that you tried to dig deeper on this topic – pretty crazy that Colourpop never responded back. What horrible customer service is that? I would definitely be purchasing the colourpop before the KC products, but I guess you’re really just paying for the name!

Lindsey Elyse | lindseyginge

• January 19, 2017 / 1:15 pm

You are definitely paying just for the name, that is for sure!

18. January 18, 2017 / 8:11 pm

I bought a Kylie Lip Kit just for the heck of it. I wanna see what all the fuss is about.

• January 19, 2017 / 1:16 pm

same here, honestly! haha

19. Kate
    January 18, 2017 / 12:59 pm

This was really interesting to read. I have never tried anything from Kylie Cosmetics or ColourPop, so I’m not really qualified to comment. Are they really similar? I’m intrigued! x

Kate Louise Blogs

• January 18, 2017 / 3:43 pm

They do feel similar on the lips with comparable longevity, except I personally find Kylie’s is even more drying and can leave you feeling parched.

20. Heather
    January 18, 2017 / 10:17 am

I personally wouldn’t purchase Kylie Cosmetics anyway as it’s too expensive for what it is but this is interesting! x

Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

• January 18, 2017 / 3:45 pm

I hear your about the price tag.

21. January 18, 2017 / 10:08 am

You really took time to do your research, Angie, good on you! I have zero interest in Kylie Cosmetics but this post would definitely help anyone who is sceptical about this matter.

• January 18, 2017 / 3:46 pm

I hope so. It has taken month! LOL

22. January 18, 2017 / 8:59 am

Well, this was an interesting read. I haven’t tried Kylie cosmetics, so I don’t have much to comment on it. But from what I gathered, the formulas are different, they are just quite similar.

-Leta | The Nerdy Me

• January 18, 2017 / 3:47 pm

They certainly feel similar, but I do feel the end result is different.

• January 18, 2017 / 3:48 pm

Oh the reviews are horrible! However have you seen the Kardashian cosmetic line? They are worse!! LOLOL

23. Pam
    January 18, 2017 / 6:58 am

ive seen so many people talk about this and honestly Im not fussed. the kylie formula may be exclusive but its not great on me and if i want something like I can simply buy colourpop which is cheaper 🙂
    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

• January 18, 2017 / 3:49 pm

Exactly my point, girl! ;3

24. January 18, 2017 / 4:36 am

I have zero interest in the whole discussion. I mean, we obviously buy Kylie Cosmetics for the name, don’t we? If it is simply the formula you are looking for, see what you like best and stick to that.
    But you did an amazing job at researching this topic, Mrs. Sherloock.

Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

• January 18, 2017 / 3:50 pm

Thanks, Anne. But I agree. My favourite brand so far is Smashbox and I will stick to it like glue.

25. Yiota
    January 18, 2017 / 4:01 am

This is so interesting. I haven’t heard these rumours but I purchased from Colourpop before and I will.definitely order more BUT I just do not understand what all the hype is about the Kylie products and I have no interest in them. First of all, the products are so damn expensive, plus you get to pay extra shipping cost plus customs when they arrive. Not worth it in my opinion.

Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

• January 18, 2017 / 3:51 pm

To be fair, if you purchase enough from ColourPop, you would have the same issue.